CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Child-like simplicity

"Hey Mista!"

Those are two words that I heard all last week from a sweet 4 year old named miss Molly Meyer; minus the "miss" part. Last week I helped with Vacation Bible School at my church; the 4 year olds was the group that I was with. I don't know why but as a young kid I never liked Bible School. And I take that back, I do know why. As a kid I never wanted anything to do with God, nothing that even connected with Him, not until I was 13 1/2 anyway... that woul explain why I didn't like VBS.

BUT, this week had been free-ing for me, in more ways than one. I spent a total of 20hours with 24 4year olds this week. I know some people may find that overwhelming or exhausting and possibly rightly so; but I found and find it refreshing. There's something about that child-like simplicity that draws me in; it's something that leaves me light-hearted. And I'm smiling now just thinking about it.

My Youth Pastor had told those of us who were from the Youth Group helping with VBS to connect with the kids, even if it was just one child in our group that we connected with. He told us that child would remember that connection - and that was one of the things he wanted from this week, second to learning more about Jesus. Unintentionally during this week I connected with one of those 24 like no one else. We have 3 pastors at our Church and Pastor Shawn's daughter, Molly Meyer, had been in my group of the 4 year olds. I don't know what it is but if I were a 4 year old I'd be pretty darn jealous if this girl wasn't my best friend. She clung to me throughout the whole week; she literally would not let go of me. She'd either be in my arms being held, sitting on my lap, holding my hand, or holding onto my leg while we were both standing listening to what it was that we were suppossed to be doing next.

Miss Molly Meyer seemed to be quiet at first. I had briefly met her a few months before Vacation Bible School when I was at a friends house and her and her brothers were there as well. She seemed quiet and reserved, very soft spoken. I guess she can be quite deceiving. *grin* Because this week with every passing day it seemed that she became louder, sillier and even more expressive. She was the one who wouldn't let go of me but yet I'd soon see her behind me as I turned around and she'd be telling me to watch how high she could go as she jumped into the air. She sat on the picnic table with me when it was play time and talked about flowers and how her daddy (Pastor Shawn) kills the "yellow flowers" (dandelions) so she warned me never to bring them to her house. *grin* As we were sitting there talking about those "flowers" another 4 year old sat beside us and Molly looked at him and said, "we're talking about flowers, if you don't want to listen then you can leave." I don't know if she meant for it to be said in a harsh way but after she said it she smiled so I figured she wasn't trying to be mean... he left. *grin* I also felt completely blessed because I learned later this week that she must trust me an aweful lot; because she fell and skinned her knee and I was the person she wanted when she was hurt. I felt blessed.

One of my favorite things was the fact that she suddenly started saying "Hey Mista" (hey mister) out of no where. She'd hold my hand as we were walking and suddenly jump up and shout "Hey Mista! Teresa did you here heeya (hear) me that time?" As if I could say no?

(yes, I am rambling and bragging about a 4 year old girl.)

But, my favorite time during these past 5 days was when almost everyone had left the Church and very few of us were left there. The Meyer family was getting ready to leave and after talking with Kay (Molly's Mom, Shawn's wife) I bent down and asked Molly for a hug, it was the 4th one she had given me that day; although the other ones were by her choice. And then I said, "oh, but can I have just one more?" And she looked at me and shook her head with a sly smile on her face and said "nooo" and then quickly said "I'm just teasing!" and gave me a huge hug. She left my arms and began to walk away with her family and suddenly turned around and ran back to my arms and said "I want just one more!"

She made my week! :)

Sitting here now a part of me wonders what it was that made her cling to me like she did. I wonder what it is that drew her to me. One of the mornings of VBS she simply said to me, "I want to be just like you." I kind of giggled at that but within seconds her words really hit me - what on earth would truly make her want to be "just like me?" It made me smile nonstop but its made me wonder as well - can one single life really have that much affect on someone elses. (remember, I'm an overthinker.) I've always been the one to be on Molly's end, wanting to be like that person whose impacted my life; it feels odd being on the other end.

Maybe it is because I come from a big family and have 9 nieces and nephews that has led me to love this type of simplicity; maybe that has something to do with what has led me to love children the way I do. Or maybe I just long for the simplicity that they have and seem to hold onto so easily. I'm guessing it's all of these reasons. I love children, I love their nature and their simplicity, their excitement and wonder.

This all tends to make me smile... child-like simplicity. Molly. It all makes me smile.

I'll be sharing soon about the missions trip that I went on this week... seriously, look out for the blog entry "Empty Handed."

Teresa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teresa,
Do you know what happened to Kate and Shawn? I am worried about them. I am a fellow journeyer and friend of Kate. Please email me.
kdrieman@Yahoo.com Thanks!

Anonymous said...

awww teresa!! that's awesome! you should feel special to have such an influence on little kids. you're a sweet girl :)

Ryan said...

Molly is a sweet little girl. I greatly missed being at home and working at VBS this year, camp has been great, but I know so many of the children at church there.

I'm glad to hear that you were so blessed for VBS.

caroline said...

way to rock the VBS, girl!

Anonymous said...

Hey Teresa! I am so very happy that bible school was such a good experience for you! I can relate to you in your love for kids. I just got back from Kids Kamp and I am already so ready to go back! Too bad there is no one there!...hehe No, but I really do just LOVE kids and I can't seem to get enough of them! I've been thinking about how hard it is going to be this year when I go to Cedarville and don't have children around all the time! Ugh...I'm quite sad. Alright, I love you, and I will talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

hi Teresa! its kind of funny how just a little while ago we were talking about a television family with lots of kids and now im reading your blog about how much you love kids. it sounds like you and Molly had a great time at VBS. i hope to see you there next year!