CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Losing sleep and other things (Part 2)

If you did not read Part 1 to thinks post... be sure to do so, and then come back and read this. :)

Its taken me longer to write part 2 of the last post than I thought it would have. My weeks had become filled with many things. Every day was scheduled for me last week and this weekend was finally a time I had to settle down. And to be honest with you, I didn't feel like pulling out the laptop and typing this instead of spending some time with close ones, more time with God, and finally getting a decent amount of sleep after 4 1/2 weeks of getting 3-4hrs of sleep each night. Those things seemed more appealing to me. :)

One of the othe reasons I can think of, is because I realize that once I type these words I can't take them back. That once I tell you what the nightmares have been caused by or what this huge passion and burden is; I can't pretend I didn't tell everyone who decides to read this blog. And I'm a bit in stuck in wondering how to go about it... so bear with me.

I'm not sure if many of you have heard of the man, William Wilberforce. 200 years ago he lived in Great Britian and abolished the Trans-Atlantic slave trade in all of the British empire. There is now a movie about this once young man, called "Amazing Grace." It's my favorite movie, if you have not watched it, do!

I heard about this movie a few months ago, somehow I came across it. When I heard about this movie and about William Wilberforce, I also heard about a very young man (he's my age, 16) Zach Hunter. Zach Hunter is a modern-day abolitionist. After a few months of looking into what he does, I became one as well.

Truth is, I'm an abolitionist. Those aren't the words that are hard for me to share... they actually come quit easily to me. The words that are hard for me to share are the ones that are used when describing what abolition and modern-day slavery has changed in my life, what nightmares I have had, what I've struggled with because of this, and what a few people have said to me.

There are atleast 27million slaves in the world, 800,000 of them being in America. Something that was abolished 200 years ago is still being practiced. Men, women and children in other countries are tricked into thinking they can get a job in their countries or America - when really they are being sold into slavery. These same people are working on agricultral plantations, brick kilns, rice mill factories, and young women and girls are being sold into brothels to be tortured and abused daily for the pleasure and amusement of many men.

I sat with all of these thoughts in my mind for weeks... weeks of keeping silent and not sharing any of these things with people. Keeping all of my feelings on this to myself; it hit me in a very personal way. But during my Christmas break I was hit with modern-day slavery in ways that I did not expect. I woke up a few days before Christmas to find myself in a cold sweat, a shaking body, with tears running down my face, and gasping for air. I woke up from a nightmare of seeing faces of those in modern-day slavery. I was so fearful that morning that I couldn't open my bedroom curtain fearing that I'd see the faces that were in my nightmare outside of my window. I kept silent until sometime between Christmas and New Years, then I finally shared this with a few dear people and family members at home.

Only days after sharing this with people I had struggled immensly with this. With these weekly nightmares, nights of no sleep, nights of pacing my room for hours, nights of telling God I didn't understand, weeks of thinking this great passion and unsettling burden was unbearable. But, after weeks of having these things in my company I felt as if Iwasn't doing anything. As if these nightmares, questions, passions, burdens, and nights of no sleep were not enough. I knew clearly that I could not simply change these things, these things that I now struggle with - but that I needed desperately to do something.

So, after a week of thinking and wondering what to do... I mentioned to a fairly new friend of mine, who I've talked to about this often, if I could speak everytime before her band plays at their gigs. Honestly... when she told me yes I told her that I had wished she said no. Because I'm fearful. This passion and burden are greater and more unbearable that I ever thought they would be. A few months ago I didn't even know about the unGodly injustice of modern-day slavery and now its become a huge part of my life. But, even with this fear I am still going to be speaking. I'm stepping out of my comfortzone, because it's not about my comfort, it never has been. Sometimes, I think to honor God, we have to do things that stretch us; things that we could never dream of doing without Him.

If you are a pray-er, I ask that you pray for me. These weekly nightmares, nights of no sleep, spending time with God and weeping bitterly because of this, they haven't ended... and honestly, I'm not sure they will. And I ask that you pray that I'd trust God with this, and also would know that fear should not over take such a passion and burden like this. I truly trust this passion and burden was God-given, I never would have sought out something like this. I'm desperate for prayer friends...

"No matter how loud you shout, you will not drown out the voice of the people!"
"We're too young to realize that certain things are impossible, so we will do them anyway."
"It seems to me, that if there is a bad taste it your mouth you spit it out; you don't constantly swallow it back." -Amazing Grace, movie

Teresa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey sis i am praying for you and i encourage u to trust God and I believe he may work through u in all of this

Anonymous said...

One of the questions that I always ask myself is, "are you willing to be absolutely broken for a people or for a cause?" As I read through your post, I see an Amazing God that that is completely breaking your heart for a people and a cause that you have not yet encountered. It may hurt, it may be difficult at times, but I promise you this; you are at the best place you can be (totally broken). My advice, my wisdom, my experience, don't fight against what the Lord is doing. Take the time to sit and soak in the Lord's presence.

caroline said...

I am praying for you and your heart for lost people. I am pumped that you are standing for up people who don't have a voice of their own. Don't get discouraged if others don't share your passion, because this is a worthy cause! And don't forget that your identity is in Christ and not in being an abolitionist! I love you, girl!

Anonymous said...

Teresa, what can i say, God is working in you and it is evident, what a hard but awesome feeling it must be to know you are God's vessel!! i yearn to be as willing as you are to do as God calls me to do, your passion and desire to help those trapped in this awful thing we call slavery speaks volumes and i am excited to see you take such large leaps in this!! i am also excited to hear that you are speaking before each gig, wow, it will be tough but you are not alone in this Teresa, God is bigger than any large crowd and He put this passion on your heart for a reason, He will give you strength, the queation is are you seeking it, don't do this alone Teresa, seek Him desperately and never forget how much He loves you!! Don't be discouraged Teresa, most of my hardest but so much worth it lessons are learned when i'm broken before God, He always pulls us through, this we are sure of!!!! praying for you....

Casey said...

Teresa, this is amazing! I hope that you continue to seek God throughout every step of this journey. He's ever so faithful and I know He will use you to accomplish his mission as long as you continue to be willing and not allow fear to get the best of you.

Thanks for the comment.
God Bless!